Rural Routes to Climate Solutions (RR2CS) is an Alberta-based initiative shining a spotlight on the climate solutions that farmers, ranchers and communities in rural Alberta can benefit from. RR2CS is happy to announce that we are seeking a Communications Coordinator to join our great team of community organizers, facilitators and communications specialists.
The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for the following activities:
- Implementing and growing RR2CS’s communications strategy.
- Using RR2CS’ multiple communication channels to grow our community further.
- Plan future communications through the editorial calendar.
- Collect analytics and report progress.
The Communications Coordinator will contribute to and support the rest of the RR2CS team with the following activities:
- blog, podcast, video production.
- social media channels and the website.
- webinars, workshops, field days and social innovation labs.
Why do we need a Communications Coordinator at this point?
Rural Routes generates large volumes of original content for an initiative with a relatively small team. At times, RR2CS produces one blog post, two podcast episodes and one YouTube video—all of original content—in a single month while running webinars, field days, workshops and social innovation labs on the side. Sometimes it can be a bit much for a team that is roughly the equivalent of two and a half full time staff.
Rural Routes is equipped with a strong message—what’s good for the farm can be good for the climate—and mandate—the empowerment of rural Albertans with climate solutions. Remarkably, we’ve made it this far without a dedicated communications coordinator, but our audience of trailblazers and people willing to try new ideas and innovative practices deserves nothing but the best from us and so we need someone to get our message out there clearly and consistently.
Who you are
You’re awesome. Some might say you’re a wizard at the three C’s: communication, coordinating, and comfortability. You make people feel welcomed and wanted. The past few years have been hard, but you’ve taken the changes in stride, and can thrive when working remotely and independently. We’re not the type to hover over your shoulder, asking “Whatcha doing? Whatcha doing?” At the same time, the rest of the RR2CS team is there to help during times of uncertainty or when clarification is needed.
You’re a delight to speak with, thoughtful, flexible, and passionate about empowering rural communities. Honestly, you’re almost too excited for the future of climate solutions in Alberta (we love that!). You believe in people and their ability to bring about positive change.
If you agree that this describes you, we’d love to hear from you!
Wages: $25-$27.5/hour. You will be working as a contractor. Contractors are responsible for ensuring that necessary payments for income tax / CPP / GST have been made.
Hours: 15 hours/week.
Duration: early to mid-March 2022 – September 1st, 2022. We are actively applying for funding to ‘grow’ this role. If additional funding is secured, there is a possibility of a contract extension.
- Background in communications, whether post-secondary or work experience.
- Organizational skills
- Working knowledge of social media analytics and creation.
- Knowledge of agriculture and/or rural Alberta social, economic and environmental issues.
- A basic understanding of climate change mitigation and adaptation including a good knowledge of agricultural and/or nature-based climate solutions.
- Strong team-communications skills for working with the RR2CS team and partners.
- Experience and comfort in using online tools and working virtually.
- Previous experience implementing or developing a communications strategy for an organization.
- Previous experience working for an agriculture organization.
- A willingness to problem solve in order to overcome the challenges the communications activities may face.
- Related to the above, an ability to ask for help when needing clarity or support.
- A sense of humor. Listen to our podcast episodes The Coordinators and What We Do to better understand us and our sense of humor.
Requirements and Expectations:
- Report to the Director;
Participate in weekly team meetings.
- Depending on the COVID-19 public health restrictions, there may be some travel required for events or in-person strategy sessions. Your mileage will be covered by Rural Routes.
- Using online tools like WordPress, Google Drive, Zoom and Trello;
Keep track of and manage your own hours.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as a PDF and email it to email@example.com before or on Tuesday March 15th, 2022. Please include “Communications Coordinator Application” in the subject line of your email. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews.
In the event a successful candidate is not found, the application process will be reopened.